Tuesday 2 August 2016

How to use Twitter and not go mad











I love Twitter.  I love its inclusiveness.  I love tweeting and reading tweets during big TV and cultural moments.  I love getting tips and reviews of books, films, restaurants and exhibitions I would never think of engaging with.  I love being able to safely vent my anger at the current political maelstrom (#hellinahandcart).  And I love sharing the joy of watching Chris Froome running up Mont Ventoux during the Tour de France, while I'm working alone at my kitchen table.

I understand why so many people don't 'get' Twitter.  I don't love the trite 'Why Taylor Swift Loves Avocado on Toast' articles and, at the other end of the scale, I don't love the anger and the picking fights for no reason and the general hatred aimed at others.

So to keep it fun, and avoid the madness, I follow art critics I respect (@adriansearle, @januszczak), film critics I usually agree with (@robbiereviews and @markkermode) and writers with similar taste in books to me (@hemmo, @sambaker and @indiaknight).  Aside from that, I follow my favourite restaurants, museums, cinemas, friends and people who make me laugh.  I never tweet anything I wouldn't say to someone's face.  And that's it.  No drama, no histrionics, no trolling and no avocado on toast.  #perfect

@kathmellor

No comments:

Post a Comment