Tuesday 9 February 2016

The Revenant




I was nervous about seeing The Revenant, mainly because it is over two and a half hours long.  I had read the reviews and honestly, I didn't think I could sit through Leonardo di Caprio moaning and groaning for that long.  Well, it is too long but I forgive the director Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu because it is so very beautiful.  From the first scene - a brutal battle shot as one stunning tracking shot - to the expansive landscapes, dwarfing human life, it is just stunning.  Inarritu shot the entire film in natural light and this, plus techniques which would seem gimmicky in other hands such as one character's breath fogging up the screen, add to the chilly atmosphere which engulfs the viewer.  If I haven't mentioned Leo's performance yet, it's because it feels so intrinsic and naturalistic that it doesn't seem distinguishable from the piece as a whole.  He thoroughly deserves the Oscar (although my vote would be for Fassbender, as every year.)

No comments:

Post a Comment