Monday 6 October 2014

The Days of Anna Madrigal by Armistead Maupin
image
I have been a huge huge fan of Armistead Maupin since the summer of 1993, when I was stuck at home for my university holidays and in dire need of an escape route from life, literary rather than literal. His Tales of the City series took me to San Francisco and introduced me to Mrs Madrigal and her ‘logical family’ of kaleidoscopic characters at Barbary Lane, a location which captivated me so much that it was the first port of call on my trip to San Francisco many years later.
Maupin has just published what he says is the last in the Tales of the City series. I am desperately hoping he changes his mind, because The Days of Anna Madrigal is a lovely read, continuing the witty and bittersweet story of his beloved characters. I am now planning to read the series again from the start, for what I estimate is probably the fourth or fifth time. And I know I will love it as much as I did the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment