Monday 6 October 2014

NTLive - Coriolanus
image
I love the Donmar Warehouse, but it is almost impossible to get tickets for their productions, so I was thrilled to see that my beloved local Curzon cinema was showing Coriolanus as part of the NTLive programme. Having never seen a theatre production at the cinema before, I was pleasantly surprised by how well it worked. The small simple set came across beautifully on screen and the intimacy of the space was used to great effect.
Tom Hiddleston was outstanding as Coriolanus, the complexity of the character coming through clearly in his portrayal of a divisive, stubborn yet politically naive leader. He had strong support from Mark Gatiss, Deborah Findley and Birgitte Hjort Sorensen.
If you get a chance to see this, one of my favourite Shakespeare plays, grab it with both hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment