Monday 6 October 2014

My Top Eighteen of 2013
I planned this list of my favourite things of the year to be a Top Ten but I just couldn’t cut any of these. In no particular order:

Exhibitions
Jeremy Deller at the Venice Biennale
I visit the Venice Biennale every two years (see 48 Hours in…) and am always excited to see the British Pavilion installation. This year, one of our most interesting artists, Jeremy Deller, produced an exhibition of thought-provoking, political, witty and beautiful work.
Bowie Is at the Victoria and Albert Museum
A totally absorbing and fascinating multi-disciplinary exhibition and a wonderful example of how technology can be used in museums and galleries. Far too busy though. *gets on soapbox about overcrowding at blockbuster exhibitions*

Books
The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
A mammoth 800+ pages, I would never have picked this up if it weren’t written by Tartt, author of the wonderful The Secret History. Once I had, I couldn’t put it down. Unique and beautifully drawn characters in a long and winding narrative that sucks you in and doesn’t let go.
Straight White Male by John Niven
Hands down, my favourite book of the year. Sharp, knowing, funny, scathing, filthy and thoughtful.
Life after Life by Kate Atkinson
Kate Atkinson is one of my favourite writers, and I think this is her best book. Covering decades of the twentieth century, seen uniquely through the eyes of Ursula Todd and her family.
Apple Tree Yard by Louise Doughty
This chilling courtroom drama is smart and gripping, following the downfall of a successful woman after she finds herself in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter
Just a beautiful book about a love affair set in 1960s Italy. Funny, romantic and enchanting.

Films
Gravity
Wholly deserving of the hype. Stunning visually and featuring a career-high performance from Sandra Bullock.
Inside Llewyn Davis
I saw a preview of this at the London Film Festival and it knocked me out. Funny and stylish, it’s now my favourite of the Coen brothers’ films.
Behind the Candelabra
Uproariously entertaining with a scene-stealing performance from an unrecognisable Rob Lowe.

Theatre
Chimerica
Without a doubt the best new play I’ve seen since Jez Butterworth’s Jerusalem, this work by Lucy Kirkwood is stunning. Politically sharp, ambitious, full of ideas and ultimately incredibly moving.
American Psycho
Stylish, clever, funny and slick with a great central performance from Matt Smith. I will be very surprised if it doesn’t get a West End transfer.
Book of Mormon
Over-hyped perhaps, but this musical is the funniest thing I have ever since on stage. It will run and run.

TV
Borgen
Intelligent political drama which handled the personal lives of its main characters with style and empathy as well. Plus I now feel like I can speak Danish. *tak*
Broadchurch
Too many crime dramas this year featured fetishistic and almost glamorous portrayals of female murder (I’m looking at you Luther and The Fall) so Broadchurch impressed with its subtle investigation into the effects of crime on a small community.
Fresh Meat
For Jack Whitehall’s JP and Zawe Ashton’s Vod - two of the most sublime comic creations in recent history.
Parks and Recreation
I ‘discovered’ Parks and Recreation this year, although it has been running on US TV for several years. The Pawnee Parks Department and its employees are a wonderful bizarre hilarious creation.
Breaking Bad
What can I say about Breaking Bad that hasn’t already been said? Just watch it

No comments:

Post a Comment