Monday 19 September 2016

This week's edit - 19th September 2016

























Seeing
I was a little sceptical about the idea of a musical version of Groundhog Day, but relaxed completely when I heard it was in the hands of Tim Minchin.  I saw it last week and it is truly special, hilarious with fantastic songs, great performances and wonderful production design.  Its run at the Old Vic has now finished and it's off to Broadway, but it is bound to come back to the West End so get ready to book tickets when it does.

Reading
Ann Patchett is one of my favourite authors and her new novel Commonwealth is a beautifully written, engaging and thoughtful story of two families and their shared fate.

Booking
There is some cracking theatre coming up this autumn.  I have my grubby little paws on tickets for Oil (Almeida Theatre), Lazarus (Kings Cross Theatre), The Red Barn (National Theatre) and Nice Fish (Harold Pinter Theatre).  Plus my comedy favourites, Bridget Christie (Leicester Square Theatre) and the Pajama Men (Soho Theatre).

Public booking for the London Film Festival is now open so get moving!  I could easily spend the whole festival in a darkened cinema but my diary and bank balance have forced me to restrict myself somewhat.  La La Land, Nocturnal Animals and A United Kingdom have all had wonderful reviews and are firmly in my diary, plus Trespass Against Us (not such great reviews but Fassbender, so you know... *shrugs*).

No comments:

Post a Comment