Monday 30 May 2016

This week's edit - 30th May 2016















Watch
Love and Friendship is a total delight from start to finish.  The director, Walt Stillman, made one of my all-time favourite films, The Last Days of Disco, and now he reunites the two stars of that film, Kate Beckinsale and Chloe Sevigny, in a Jane Austen adaptation.  I'll be honest, I knew I was going to love it even before I walked into the cinema.  It is perfect.  Full to the brim of brilliant performances, throwaway period detail and caustic venomous wit.  An utter joy.

Listen
I'm still listening to nothing other than Prince, to be honest.  Mostly my favourites on a loop but occasionally his most recent album, HITnRUN Phase 2, which is fantastic.

See
Mona Hatoum is such an intelligent artist and her exhibition at Tate Modern is a must see for anyone interested in contemporary art.  Dealing with themes both personal and political, global and intimate, her work is fascinating and thought-provoking.

Read
I'm trying to narrow down my reading list for my holiday next month.  I read A LOT when I'm on holiday and the brilliance of the kindle is that I don't have to weigh down my suitcase but I do get a bit obsessive with ensuring I have a good balance of literary/popular/crime/comedy/etc/etc (although if I'm honest the books I enjoy most generally blur all of those categories).  My first pick is the book of Love and Friendship by Walt Stillman (see above) - perfect poolside reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment