Monday 4 January 2016

Late arrivals


















A couple of last-minute additions to my Best of 2015 lists:

Star Wars: A Force Awakens - I'll confess that, while I have very fond memories of the first three films from my childhood (although obviously I wasn't born when they were released, cough), I wasn't particularly inclined to see A Force Awakens, but once I read the reviews it seemed like a perfect pre-Christmas treat*.  And it was.  Funny, genuinely thrilling and pitched perfectly between contemporary blockbuster making and 1970s nostalgia, I absolutely loved it.

Making a Murderer - Netflix has created and shown some truly brilliant shows.  Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and Master of None are both in my Top Ten of the year and I cannot recommend them highly enough.  I've also heard great things about Narcos, and I'm just getting into the fantastic Jessica Jones.  But Making a Murderer is without a shadow of a doubt the most disturbing, shocking and challenging documentary I've seen for a long while.  I'm only four episodes in, but it has already made me angrier than I've been for several years.  Take a deep breath, and dive in.


* Everything I do in December is either a pre- or post-Christmas treat.  I really must change this next year - it makes the deprivation of January SO MUCH HARDER.


No comments:

Post a Comment